Cioppino - Mama Rathmell-Hane's
½ cup olive oil (1/6 cup)
1 large bell pepper chopped (½)
3 large onions (1½ )
1-3 Tablespoons chopped garlic (1 Tbls)
1½ cup red wine (3/4 cup)
½ cup chopped parsley (1/4 cup)
1½ tsps each basil and oregano (3/4 tsp)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (1/8 tsp)
1 Tablespoon salt (½ Tbls)
6-ounce can of tomato sauce (3-ounce)
3 cups canned plum tomatoes (1 ½)
5 lbs. crab in shell broken up
1 lb. Large shrimp, preferably raw (½ lb.)
2-3 dz clams or mussels in shell (1 dz)
3 lbs. Fillets of firm-fleshed white fish
(sea bass, halibut, cod or part squid)
Use whatever seafood is freshest when you make Cioppino
* Heat the oil in a very large pot, add the onion, and cook until almost tender. Add bell pepper, garlic, wine and seasonings, boil for five minutes.
* Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, simmer 45 minutes. (Can be prepared ahead to this point.)
* Add another ½ cup of wine and ½ cup of water.
* Cut the fish into two-inch pieces and the squid into bite-size pieces. Add all the seafood, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. If you can obtain only shelled crab meat, add it the last two minutes of cooking.
* Serve in deep soup plates with sourdough to 10 hungry diners.